What is Diamond Clarity?
It is referred to the presence of inclusions and blemishes on the diamond piece. Inclusions are deemed to be found inside the diamond, and blemishes are small flaws on the exterior surface of the diamond. Some blemishes and inclusions are not simply visible to the naked eye, but a lot of imperfections on the diamond makes it look cloudier and less clear than others.
How to determine Diamond Clarity?
As many of the flaws are invisible to the naked eye, there are many ways to nick them out. The GIA or Gemological Institute of America intricately observes each and every diamond piece to ascertain the number of blemishes and inclusions and how visible they seem to be. Then the diamond is graded with the help of this scale.
- Flawless (FL): when the imperfections couldn’t be found under 10x magnification
- Internally Flawless (IF): when the blemishes are spotted under 10x magnification but not inclusions
- Very, Very Slightly Included (VVS1 and VVS2): Inclusions found under 10x magnification, still hardly visible.
- Very Slightly Included (VS1 and VS2): Inclusions visible under 10x magnification.
- Slightly Included (SI1 and SI2): Inclusions visible under 10x magnification and to the naked eye as well.
- Included (I1, I2, and I3): Inclusions visible that will impact the properties of diamond.
Shopping tips for Beginners
- The larger the stone, the more you should aim for the clarity.
It’s hard to see the imperfections in the diamond that are below 1 carat. So, clarity shouldn’t be focused on much.
- The imperfections are quite visible in the Emerald or Asscher cut diamonds, and not much visible in the round or princess cut diamonds.
If you are preferring to buy more of the former category, check the clarity grade that has the higher level.
- Do the due diligence.
Many websites dealing with diamond store online like Diamonds.co.nz, provides a way to let you filter on the basis of all the features of the diamond, giving you a good idea of what kind of clarity is within your budget. You can even view the GIA certificate and the HD pictures of the diamond engagement rings and other diamond jewelry on sale.
Now that you are aware of everything basic about diamond clarity, it’s time to shop for a diamond engagement ring for your beloved. So, what are you waiting for?